- TSU is the only HBCU to be ranked in Yahoo's 100 "Most Wired Universities" (#55)
- 100% of residence halls and buildings are equipped with computers with internet access.
- Students can print an unlimited number of pages per semester at no charge.
- Students can reserve library books electronically.
- Each student is allotted between 11-25 megabytes of web space.
- TSU is the only HBCU recognized in the US News & World Report's "Guide to America's Best Colleges" for the past 10 consecutive years.
- Since 1987, when US Black Engineer magazine instituted its awards program, nine (9) TSU graduates have been honored as Black Engineer of the Year.
- TSU was selected by the US Department of Energy to be the first university to operate an isotope center in the U.S. Isotopes are used to diagnose heart ailments, cancer, and other illnesses.
- Sponsored research funding has reached $41 million, the highest research productivity among all Tennessee Board of Regents institutions, including Middle Tennessee State University, which is more than twice TSU's size.
- TSU is the only institution in the country to discover a planet outside the earth's solar system. TSU is exceptionally strong in astrophysics, astronomy, engineering, business, education and biology.
- TSU has the No. 1 forensics program among black colleges in the nation. The forensics program is ranked sixth in the nation among universities its size.
- TSU is one of only three historically black colleges in the nation with a Phi Kappa Phi honor society, the most prestigious honor society comprising all academic disciplines. TSU was the first HBCU to charter Phi Kappa Phi on its campus.
- TSU is constructing a 45-foot statue called The Olympian in the Olympic Plaza in honor of the 58 TSU Olympians and legendary Coach Ed Temple.
- The TSU administration has placed honors floors and computer labs in all the residence halls, as well as cable television hookups in every room.
- TSU students recently achieved a 98 percent passing rate on the National Teacher Examination, four percent higher than the state average.
- TSU's Air Force ROTC detachment was recently named the best small-to-medium detachment unit in the United States and Puerto Rico.